December 26, 2010

A Christmas Gift From My Wife

DC Adventures Hero's Handbook.

My wife gave me a copy of the new DC roleplaying game by Green Ronin Publishing. This just came out a couple months ago and I've thumbed through it once or twice at the bookstore since. The game uses the soon-to-be-released Mutants & Masterminds third edition rules with a sprinking of DC HEROES thrown in. Ray Winninger, one of the masterminds behind HEROES is listed as a designer in this new RPG, and you can tell by reading through it.

My initial thoughts: it is well-written and much easier to digest than M&M 2e. Even while reading it, I was getting some inspiration for characters, which is always a good sign for anything I'm reviewing. I'm a little iffy on things like a "Fighting" attribute, because I'm such a fan of DC HEROES' matrix of physical, mental, and mystical attributes. Fighting just seems too Marvel Super Heroes to me. It's more of a skill than an base attribute. The game includes Close and Ranged combat skills and they could have just had one based on Strength and the other on Agility, but chose to go with a separate attribute. "Fighting" is just code for melee attack bonus.

In my next post, I'll do a comparison between DC Adventures and DC HEROES.

No comments:

Post a Comment